You're giving all the best sustainable gifts this year, but how are you wrapping them? Much of the waste produced during the holiday season is unrecyclable wrapping paper, tape, ribbon, tissue paper, and gift bags. Avoid it all and wrap your gifts in our organic cotton reusable Furoshiki wraps instead!
Furoshiki wraps are a sustainable, reusable, and versatile alternative to disposable gift wrapping. With just one square piece of fabric, you'll be able to wrap everything from books to bottles - with zero hassle or waste, and for many years to come.
Each of our zero waste Furoshiki wraps feature designs from independent artists across the globe. Every sale directly supports the artist who designed the print.
🎁 MYSTERY BUNDLE includes 3 organic cotton Furoshiki wraps (1 of each size).
Furoshiki (pronounced foo-roh-shee-kee) is a traditional Japanese fabric wrap, dating back more than 1200 years. Traditionally, it was used by noble families to wrap their clothes when visiting public baths. Their wraps featured their family's crest, so as to tell their belongings from another's. Today's demand for eco-conscious alternatives has resurged interest in furoshiki internationally.
Organic Cotton Furoshiki Wraps Quick Details:
- A reusable and versatile alternative to disposable gift wrapping
- Ethically made with 100% organic cotton fabric
- Designed by independent artists who receive a commission for each Furoshiki wrap sold
🌲 Check out our organic cotton reusable gift bags for even more independently-designed, zero waste gift wrapping options this holiday season!
Small Wraps: 19.5" x 19.5" (great for gifts about the size of a tissue box)
Medium Wraps: 29.5" x 29.5" (great for gifts about the size of a shoebox)
Large Wraps: 35.5" x 35.5" (great for larger gifts or even to use as a scarf or bag)
100% organic cotton
Check out our full guide for 6 different ways to wrap a Furoshiki - for everything from wine bottles to books.
Our furoshiki wraps can be machine washed with other laundry you're already doing. We recommend washing in cold water and hanging to dry to extend their life. If your Furoshiki wraps become wrinkled, they can be ironed with a regular clothes iron.
Packaging + End of Life
These wraps are packaged with a recycled paper info sheet and twine.
The twine can be reused and eventually composted, and the info sheet is designed to be reused over and over as a gift tag, but can eventually be composted or recycled.
These wraps should last you many, many years with proper care. When they reach the end of their life, they can be cut up and composted or sent to a responsible textile recycler.
Sourced from a woman-owned, Canadian small business. Designed across the globe by independent artists, ethically printed in China in a BSCI, ISO9001, and HIGG certified factory, and shipped from a US warehouse in Wisconsin.
Palm Oil Free
🌎 You care about the planet. So do we.
Look. I get it. It’s HARD to be an EcoWarrior. Someone who cares about the planet and wants the most sustainable products available - from the ingredients to the packaging to the way that product gets to your hands.
It seems like everywhere we turn, someone, somewhere, is greenwashing us.
But our superpower at A Drop in the Ocean is sorting through the BS, calling it out, and making sure our products are the absolute most sustainable and truly zero waste products we can find.
So on top of all the things we mentioned above about what makes our furoshiki gift wrap so sustainable, here’s a few other things you should know:
- We’re actually practicing what we preach behind the scenes. In 2022, we saved all of our trash for four months, and wrote a whole blog post on it. The tl;dr version is this: in four months, we only produced two pounds of trash. Everything from the packaging our products come in down to the Sharpie we use to write “Fragile” on your box is zero waste to its core.
- We’re an online-only zero waste store - which is highly intentional. It may seem counter-intuitive, but online shopping is actually more sustainable than in-person. I’m a data nerd at heart and I love diving into the research, and there are countless studies that have shown that online shopping is the most sustainable way to get your everyday essentials. Don’t believe me? Check out our whole blog post on the sustainability of online shopping.
- We ship ugly boxes. Your order from A Drop in the Ocean is not going to arrive in a pretty, branded box. It’s gonna show up in a reused tea box, or a donated Amazon box, or maybe even an inside-out Girl Scout Cookies box. All of our shipping materials are always 100% plastic-free and reused as much as possible, with curbside-recyclable paper tape and a post-consumer recycled paper shipping label. It won’t be pretty, but it will be zero waste.
Got more questions about our zero waste products or our practices behind the scenes? Just send us an email! I’m always happy to chat all things eco.
We ship ugly boxes
Our commitment to sustainability doesn't end when you press that checkout button.
We pack all of our orders in reused boxes and envelopes, with reused paper packaging, post-consumer recycled paper labels, and even paper tape.
You may not get an IG-worthy unboxing, but you will get the most sustainable packaging we can possibly find.
Oh and did we mention our shipping is always carbon negative?
Let's go to the real winner in my eyes. Honestly, I could have purchased this exact product many other places, but the packaging A Drop in the Ocean uses to ship will have me coming back time and time gain.
My first purchase from them was some floss a while ago and it arrived in a reused tea box with a hand written note that was written on scrap paper. I was blown away.
I had never seen a company who claimed to be sustainable ACTUALLY prove to be sustainable through and through. The fact that every piece of the packaging was reused and minimal will have me come back over and over again. If I can purchase it here, I will purchase it here.