Hand-poured in small batches right here in Tacoma, Washington, our natural soy candles will transport you to the majestic outdoors of the Pacific Northwest. With clean scent, phthalate- and paraben-free fragrance oils, an untreated natural wood wick, and natural, domestically-grown soy wax, your home will fill with the relaxing scents of nature without aggravating allergies or asthma. Coupled with the light crackling sound from the wood wick and a 72-hour burn time, it just doesn't get much better than this.
"The art of hand pouring candles is truly remarkable. With every pour, I am able to transfer my energy and emotions into the candle, creating a one-of-a-kind product. It's crucial for me to be in a positive state of mind when pouring, as it directly impacts the final outcome of each candle."
- Jamie M., owner of Defiant Candle Company
Natural Soy Wood Wick Candle Quick Details:
- Hand-poured locally by a small, Black woman-owned business
- All-natural ingredients that won't aggravate allergies or asthma
- Wood wick produces less smoke and soot and a beautiful light crackling sound
- US-grown natural soy wax
- 72-hour burn time*
- Vegan and palm oil free
Cascade: sage, rosemary, ash
Narrows: sea salt, driftwood, musk noir
Rainier: oakmoss, amber, tonka
9 ounces (72-hour burn time*)
* Burn times are based off 4 hour burns. If you burn your candle for longer than 4 hours at a time results will vary.
All-natural US-grown soy wax; clean scent, phthalate- and paraben-free fragrance oils; untreated natural wood wicks; stainless steel wick base
Proper Candle Care
- Trim your wick before each use to 1/4 in (5mm)
- Burn your candle for 2+ hours on first use
- Do not burn candle for more than 4 hours at a time
- The ideal surface for use is heat safe, away from drafts, and out of reach of pets, children and/or draperies & furniture
- Stop use when only 1/4" of wax remains
Packaging + End of Life
Our natural soy candles are packaged in a glass tumbler with a plastic lid.
When your candle has finished its last burn, we recommend boiling some water and pouring it into the jar to about half-full. The wax will float to the top of the water. Once the water cools, remove the wax and the water and you'll be left with a clean jar! The jar can be reused for a multitude of purposes around your home or gifted to your local Buy Nothing Group.
Before recycling, check your city's recycling guidelines for candle jars!
Handmade in Tacoma, Washington.
Made in the USA
🌎 You care about the planet. So do we.
Look. I get it. It’s HARD to be an EcoWarrior. Someone who cares about the planet and wants the most sustainable products available - from the ingredients to the packaging to the way that product gets to your hands.
It seems like everywhere we turn, someone, somewhere, is greenwashing us.
But our superpower at A Drop in the Ocean is sorting through the BS, calling it out, and making sure our products are the absolute most sustainable and truly zero waste products we can find.
So on top of all the things we mentioned above about what makes our natural soy wood wick candles so sustainable, here’s a few other things you should know:
- We’re actually practicing what we preach behind the scenes. In 2022, we saved all of our trash for four months, and wrote a whole blog post on it. The tl;dr version is this: in four months, we only produced two pounds of trash. Everything from the packaging our products come in down to the Sharpie we use to write “Fragile” on your box is zero waste to its core.
- We’re an online-only zero waste store - which is highly intentional. It may seem counter-intuitive, but online shopping is actually more sustainable than in-person. I’m a data nerd at heart and I love diving into the research, and there are countless studies that have shown that online shopping is the most sustainable way to get your everyday essentials. Don’t believe me? Check out our whole blog post on the sustainability of online shopping.
- We ship ugly boxes. Your order from A Drop in the Ocean is not going to arrive in a pretty, branded box. It’s gonna show up in a reused tea box, or a donated Amazon box, or maybe even an inside-out Girl Scout Cookies box. All of our shipping materials are always 100% plastic-free and reused as much as possible, with curbside-recyclable paper tape and a post-consumer recycled paper shipping label. It won’t be pretty, but it will be zero waste.
Got more questions about our zero waste products or our practices behind the scenes? Just send us an email! I’m always happy to chat all things eco.
We ship ugly boxes
Our commitment to sustainability doesn't end when you press that checkout button.
We pack all of our orders in reused boxes and envelopes, with reused paper packaging, post-consumer recycled paper labels, and even paper tape.
You may not get an IG-worthy unboxing, but you will get the most sustainable packaging we can possibly find.
Oh and did we mention our shipping is always carbon negative?
Let's go to the real winner in my eyes. Honestly, I could have purchased this exact product many other places, but the packaging A Drop in the Ocean uses to ship will have me coming back time and time gain.
My first purchase from them was some floss a while ago and it arrived in a reused tea box with a hand written note that was written on scrap paper. I was blown away.
I had never seen a company who claimed to be sustainable ACTUALLY prove to be sustainable through and through. The fact that every piece of the packaging was reused and minimal will have me come back over and over again. If I can purchase it here, I will purchase it here.