Omgosh, friends, Plastic Free July is almost here and I’m actually going to be in town all month to enjoy it!
For context, the last three years - since I first began my journey to plastic free living - I have been studying abroad during the month of July and unable to properly participate in the effort. But now that I’m all graduated and stuff, I’m all-in this year. And I’ve got big plans for you to join me.
One of my biggest pet peeves with plastic-free messaging is how often I hear “Refuse single-use plastics!” And, like, yeah...we should do that...but if you’re new to sustainable living or just becoming aware of the problems with plastics, how do you know where to start? How do you stay motivated? How do you know your actions even matter?
This is what I adore about the Plastic Free EcoChallenge.
The Plastic Free EcoChallenge is a one-month challenge to refuse and reduce single-use plastics. As a fully customizable challenge, you get to choose exactly which plastics you want to focus on for the month, rather than trying to do it all at once.
I could talk probably forever about how much I love the EcoChallenge platform. My Master’s research focused highly on how participation in these challenges does actually lead to long-term behavior change, but besides that it’s just FUN!
I love it so much 💙💙💙
Here’s how it works.
- Join a team! We’ve got one set up already for A Drop in the Ocean’s EcoWarriors, so head over to our team page to join.
- Watch the intro video that pops up. This video will cover most everything else in this list, but with a real-time demo so you can get a feel for how the platform works.
- Check out the full list of actions available for the month. Some actions are one-time actions (such as completing a waste audit), and others are daily actions (such as refusing plastic straws or writing to public officials).
- Choose which actions you pledge to take throughout the month of July. There is a limit to the number of actions you can select, to help keep you on track and avoid burnout. This will also help to make these habits long-lasting. You can even create your own actions if there’s something you’ve been meaning to do but isn’t represented on the action cards already.
- Complete your profile, invite friends, and get ready for July 1!
- Once the challenge officially begins on July 1, you can start checking off those actions, earning points, and watching our collective impact add up!
Here’s what we’re doing with the points.
Joining the team:
- When you join A Drop in the Ocean’s EcoWarriors team, we’ll plant 10 trees in your honor, and you’ll automatically get 5% off every purchase with A Drop in the Ocean through July 31.
- For every 10 EcoWarriors that join our team, we’ll donate $10 to our ocean conservation partner, Vermilion Sea Institute (VSI).
- When you reach 100 points, you’ll get 10% off every purchase through July 31 and we’ll donate $1 to VSI.
- When you reach 500 points, you’ll get 15% off every purchase through July 31 and we’ll donate $5 to VSI.
- When you reach 1,000 points, you’ll get 20% off every purchase through July 31 and we’ll donate $10 to VSI.
Collective (Team) Points:
- If everyone on the team reaches 100 points, we will donate $10 to VSI.
- If everyone on the team reaches 500 points, we will donate $50 to VSI.
- If everyone on the team reaches 1,000 points, we will donate $100 to VSI.
- For every 1,000 points the team earns, we will donate $10 to VSI.
Okay, I know this may be getting overwhelming. But really, here’s what you need to know:
The Plastic Free EcoChallenge is one of my highlights every year. It’s fun, it’s impactful, and this year you can give back to our oceans and save some $$$ in the process.
Head over to the team now and let’s this this Eco-Party started!
(And if you haven’t yet subscribed to our weekly Make Waves Monday newsletter - get your booty on the list today. We’ll be sharing plastic free tips and tricks all month!)